I went hikingcampingfishing in Boulder Mountain with some school friends over the weekend. As always, the pictures are nothing compared to the real thing (reference Plato's Cave). Still, I post.
Somebody thought it would be a good idea to hike a canoe (filled with our combined weight in fishing gear) a mile in from the truck to the lake. Alas, the canoe spent the weekend on the side of the trail about a quarter mile from the truck.
Sorry I'm blocking some of the view here.
Once the sun hit these trees it was like the world was on fire. This shot was taken about 50 feet from my tent just as the sun came up over the horizon.
Does anyone know why some of the aspens are orange and some are yellow?
Looking out from the shadows of a well shaded trail.
First we catch the fish (it looks small compared to my gut, I know),
then we kill the fish (notice the smoke in the foreground),
and then we eat the fish.
This view looks south. If you focus just above the horizon towards the right side of the picture, you can see Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.
This view looks east, and way off in the horizon you find Capitol Reef National Park.
We saw wild turkeys, deer (both does and bucks), a rabbit, a cow, an owl, and a lot of rogue chipmunks (throwing pine cones down on us from the safety of high branches). Only the turkeys hung around long enough for a photo.
The last 7 miles of the drive took us more than an hour because of all the boulders we had to maneuver over and around.
Monday, September 29, 2008
Fish
Posted by
Jeff
at
7:56 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
That looked like a lot of fun. I'll bet it was nice to get out of the house/library/another place where you commonly hang out. Who's idea was it to carry a canoe full of stuff a mile?
-justin
Jared loved that trip with you guys! You guys were great fishing companions...and I'm so happy that all of you came home safely! (Did Emily worry as much as I did?! Normally I don't mind at all, but this trip seemed to scare me a little.)
What a beautiful view you had, That sounds like a very fun weekend in the wild, and very beautiful scenery! I'm glad you had a getaway -kristie
Post a Comment