Wednesday, March 5, 2008

A followup

I read the list of our happenings. All accurate. Sometimes I love the simplicity of the life we are living and even feel proud that we've been able to keep our life that way. At other times, it all seems very dull.

The other day I was listening to "I have confidence" from the classic Sound of Music. It occurred to me that Maria didn't have to do any cooking or cleaning. According to the recent world wide training broadcast, those are the parts of homemaking that can be delegated. She was the sole nurturer and that was a daunting task for her.These lyrics that somehow seemed poignant:

My heart should be wildly rejoicing.
Oh, what's the matter with me?

I've always longed for adventure,

To do the things I've never dared.


Now here I'm facing adventure
Then why am I so scared?
A captain with seven children...
What's so fearsome about that?

Oh, I must stop these doubts,
All these worries.
If I don't I just know I'll turn back!
I must dream of the things I am seeking.

I am seeking the courage I lack.

The courage to serve them with reliance,
Face my mistakes without defiance.


Show them I'm worthy

And while I show them
I'll show me!


So, let them bring on all their problems,

I'll do better than my best.
I have confidence

They'll put me to the test!

But I'll make them see
I have confidence in me.


I have confidence in sunshine,

I have confidence in rain.
I have confidence
that spring will come again!


Besides, which you see

I have confidence in me.

I'm not there yet, but am working toward being able to trust my own decisions. I admit to being overwhelmed at the life style of a mother of more than one child. I tell myself to have "confidence that I will grow into it."

6 comments:

Jeff said...

I have confidence in you.

Jaimee said...

Hey Emily -

Don't worry, you will do fine. It seems scary at first, but you just do what you need to. By the way, I tagged you for some random facts. Go to my blog and check it out.

Lisa O said...

2 1/2 years ago I had just moved across the country. Far from all family and dear friends. I will never forget the day that little envelope came in the mail containing a burned CD of "Lisa's Unpacking Tunes." Only my bosom buddy would know that I needed to hear "I Have Confidence" and remind me to "Keep on the Sunny Side of Life."

I love you Em. I have confidence in you too.

Jess Ty and Tyler said...

I like your thoughts. Thanks for sharing. I have lots of confidence in you too.

Anonymous said...

You'll be a great mother of two because you're such a great mother of one! Good luck with everything in the months to come!

Ginger

torquate said...

What Jeff said.