Today we were having a quiet moment--James and I were looking at our family photo album, Rachel was asleep, and Jeff was pretending to be (or maybe trying to be) asleep on the floor. James saw the photos of his first birthday and decided he wanted a birthday. [This is Jeff interrupting for a moment of truth. I was woken from my nap to Emily in full song singing happy birthday and saying certain key words like "cake" and "birthday" with a ton of excitement in her voice--kind of like you hear in a kid's voice on Christmas morning when he's about to go see what Santa brought. James had no choice but to "decide" he wanted a birthday. Still, I can't say I didn't like the idea of having a birthday party.] [Note to those who don't remember: James's birthday is in June.]
He grabbed Jeff's finger and took him to the kitchen and wanted a birthday right now. Jeff pulled through our cupboards looking for anything that might resemble a birthday and finally found a package of fig newtons and some frosting tubes. We put frosting on the fig newtons and sang happy birthday. Then James said, "I like it!" (He got that from Green Eggs and Ham). We started laughing and James ate his treat. He liked the blue frosting best. Meanwhile Jeff decided a plea for a birthday was a good excuse to make half a batch of brownie cupcakes.
[Jeff again. I would have made a full batch, but we didn't have enough eggs.]
James does everything his dad does, so when Jeff licked the frosting off one beater, James got the other.
By the time he had eaten half a dozen frosted fig newtons and licked one of the beaters, all he wanted to do with his brownie cupcake was pour a whole bottle of sprinkles on it.
Sunday, August 24, 2008
A birthday!
Posted by
Emily
at
4:19 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
taht is too cute...if you were any closer we would invite you overfor Sarah's birthday party on tuesday :)
Well happy birthday to James...even if his birthday is in June.
How fun to be spontaneous! What a lucky boy you have to get more than one birthday in a year!
You two are such fun parents. What a great idea. I'll have to do that with my Hannah. She always thinks it's her birthday. It was fun to see you at Thanksgiving Point yesterday.
Mmmm. Frosted fig newtons sound delicious.
Emily!
My heart was so warmed to see your little family and blog. Sweet kids.
Heather Hochhalter
hokiehut.blogspot.com
How fun and created! What a cute little boy! And more than one birthday a year! Sweet! Sign me up!
Awwww too cute! I think it's great that you guys humored him. Any other parent would have been like "what's your problem? You need to wait in line like everyone else for their b-day!" lol.
Fun! You are a cute mom! We sure miss you guys! How is everything going? Give James a hug from Hannah!
Hey Em! Long time no see! I'm getting the Centennila reunion blog going and was wondering if I could add your blog to the role on the site? Let me know! centennial_99@yahoo.com
http://centennialclassof99.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment